Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Grandparents Oral History

I wrapped this piece at the end of last semester.  It's the final project for my intermediate audio production class (RTVF 41).  I had thought about doing the project on either my grandparents or the regulars at an aunt and uncle's bar in NJ, but I went with the grandparents because I already knew some of the stories, and I knew that it would be a sure thing.  I would love to do the bar piece at some point in the future (maybe next semester), but make it a longer-running project; I want to go every two weeks or so for a whole semester if I can, and make a really solid piece about the wide range of characters they get down there.  Anyway, this piece turned out pretty cool.  I spent about eight hours editing it today in Hofstra's editing lab, and I was smiling almost the whole time.  Many of the stories in this piece I've heard a bunch of times, others I heard for the first time while recording them.  I could have made an hour long show with the material I got from the day I spent with my grandparents, but unfortunately I had to try to constrain myself (I stilled failed, the 10-12 minute piece goal ended up around 15min...oh well).  I plan on making a longer piece for my family for a (now pretty late) Christmas present.

Take a listen, or a download, tell me what you think.  A big thanks to my mother, my aunt, and of course Grandma and Pop-Pop for all their help with this!


No comments:

Post a Comment